VinylGuard Laser Flagstick Renewal Kit
- Quickly, easily and economically refurbish expensive SmartSticks™.
- They’ll look better-than-new and last years longer.Kit contains:
- 1 spool of VinylGuard to renew 30 – 1/2” SmartSticks™
- 30 cut pieces of VinylGuard to renew 30 wide diameter Laser Link reflective prism devices
- 1 custom hole cutting tool to be used with a drill press or power drill, to expose the prisms
- Available in White and Yellow
- Application directions are included
How to Shrink – The Basics
- Use a high temperature heat gun with a heavy duty air blower seen below in related products
- CAUTION – DO NOT APPLY EXCESSIVE HEAT DIRECTLY TO THE CREASE.
- Slide a length of VinylGuard over the shaft.
- Hold the heat gun a few inches away from the material to prevent burning.
- SLOWLY begin shrinking: Rotate the shaft while moving the heat gun back and forth. Apply sufficient heat to remove any wrinkles. The vinyl will quickly shrink and conform to the shape of the underlying material.
- After shrinking, allow the VinylGuard to FULLY COOL. Then trim the excess vinyl with a sharp blade or utility knife and apply a little heat to remove any wrinkles.
- Open flame sources of heat are not recommended for shrinking as they may burn or damage the vinyl and may not ensure uniform shrinking.
How To Apply The VinylGuard Laser Flagstick Renewal Kit
- Cut a length of vinyl 3″ longer than the flagstick, to allow for longitudinal shrinkage.
- Begin shrinking at the bottom of the flagstick. Push the material downward, pressing the vinyl against the ferrule until it shrinks to form a snug fit. Then shrink your way up the shaft.
Changing the Color of Flagsticks
- For all colors except yellow: Slide on a new color and shrink.
- To change a color to yellow: To ensure complete coverage, first shrink on a base of white vinyl. Slide yellow VinylGuard over the white and shrink.
Making Striped Flagsticks
- Choose a “base color” (usually white) and shrink it over the entire flagstick.
- Choose a color for stripes and cut the lengths required. Slide each stripe over the base color and shrink it in the position desired.
Tapered Tournament Flagsticks
- Lightly coat the shaft with soapy water. Slide the vinyl over the shaft, pushing the material down as far as possible.
- Begin shrinking at the widest point – in the center of the flagstick. SLOWLY work your way downward, pushing the vinyl against the ferrule until it shrinks to form a snug fit. Return to the center of the flagstick and work your way upward to the top.
- While shrinking, if air bubbles get trapped under the vinyl, press them out with your hand while the vinyl is still warm.
VinylGuard Laser Flagstick Renewal Kit
- Laser Link Renewal Kits fit the 1/2″ regulation and older 3/4″ tapered tournament SmartSticks™ with the wide-diameter aluminum reflective prism devices installed in the body of the flagsticks™.
- Due to the wide diameter of the aluminum reflective prism device, VinylGuard will be installed in three pieces. The ferrules must be removed and reinstalled or replaced.
- Shrink VinylGuard over the bottom part of the flagstick:
- Remove the ferrule.
- Cut a length of VinylGuard to cover the lower part of the flagstick, from the bottom to the start of the embedded Laser Link device.
- Slide the VinylGuard up the flagstick; press it against the start of the device. Start shrinking here:
- Apply heat to tightly shrink the VinylGuard against the bottom of the device.
- Hold the heat gun downward at a 45° angle; shrink the VinylGuard down to the bottom of the flagstick.
- When fully cool, trim enough VinylGuard from the bottom of the shaft to accommodate a ferrule.
- Install the ferrule.
- Shrink VinylGuard over the top part of the flagstick:
- Cut a length of VinylGuard to cover the flagstick, over-lapping the top stud down to the start of the embedded device.
- Slide the VinylGuard down the top of the flagstick; press it against the top of the device. Start shrinking here:
- Apply heat to tightly shrink the VinylGuard against the top of the device.
- Hold the heat gun upward at a 45º angle; shrink the VinylGuard up to the top of the flagstick.
- When fully cool, trim the VinylGuard below the top stud.
- Shrink VinylGuard over the embedded Laser Link device:
- Slide a cut piece of VinylGuard down to evenly overlap the top and bottom of the Laser Link device
- Apply heat to tightly shrink the vinyl.
- Allow the VinylGuard to fully cool to room temperature and harden, about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Expose the prisms after the VinylGuard is fully cooled
- Put the custom hole cutting tool in a drill press or hand drill.
- Place the tool over the indentations of the prisms and lightly cut through the VinylGuard.
- Remove the cut pieces to expose the prisms.
- Use FS-7550 to renew the new, slim ¾” tapered tournament SmartSticks™ with the prisms embedded in the fiberglass. Purchase the custom hole cutting tool separately.
- Follow the directions for Tapered Tournament Flagsticks
- Follow the directions – #4 above – to expose the prisms after the VinylGuard is fully cooled.